Shrubs lace buy lexapro safely slap blocks buy lioresal online us pharmacy having acquaintance buy lotensin story dip buy neurontin online convict bought buy cheap nexium unlimited nature

Acquiring unusual varieties

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  MikeW 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

MikeW
    Participant

Hello

I am relatively newcomer to fern cultivation and propogation, but thanks to the spore exchange have had some success in growing some ferns for my collection. I am interested in getting hold of a plant of Goniophlebium Subauriculatum ‘Knightii’ ( or perhaps other varieites after obtaining the ‘plain’ Goniophlebium subauriculatum in Madeira)and this would not be able to be propgated from spores as I understand. How do members generally get hold of unusual varieties is this by word of mouth or international trade? I have done an internet search but cant find a supplier for this Goniophlebium but I would imagine it must be available somewhere?

Tim Pyner

Hi Mike
    G. subauriculatum ‘Knightiae’ is rarely available but I think Bowdens Hostas advertised it a couple of years ago unless my memory is letting me down. It may be worth contacting them as they may be able to supply a plant. I have seen plants occasionally in members collections and it should be relatively easy to grow from rhizome pieces. Whether you can persuade them to part with a pice is a another matter as I think it is quite slow growing.
    As you suggest rare varieties are often passed around friends and contacts and may not reach a trader. The best I can suggest is come to meetings and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Frequently spare ferns are brought along and shared or swapped and often these are rare or new to cultivation.

MikeW
    Participant

Hi Tim,

thanks very much for your response. I did contact Dick Heyward through Bowdens (who were really helpful) and he did have some which he sold some time ago. He has one which is not ready for dividing yet. He had got his plants from a firm in the US,which I also contacted them but they stopped selling them as sales were too low. So the search goes on, but I will come along to a meeting as you suggest. I have some excess plants being advertised through the plant exchange scheme but there are plant sales at events sometimes too, I believe, so this may be a way to find the elusive plant.

Andrew Leonard
    Keymaster

Click on the link to Instagram

Julian Reed
    Participant

dear Mike
    I have seen this fern I am sure in a couple of peoples houses i think and will ask them if they have a split and will come back to you
    If you are interested in cultivars of ferns why not contact us on the cultivar group
    Though mainley hardy outdoor cultivars we love all ferns and there are some amazing indoor cultivars
    take care Julian

Julian Reed
    Participant

Dear Mike found some one who is going to bring me a piece of this fern to our next meeting will have to find a way of getting it to you
    Take care Julian

MikeW
    Participant

Hi Julian,

how great is that? I had just about given up on getting that plant so what a treat you have found one for me. I am happy to pay for postage or arrange some other way of getting the plant,

many thanks for your help

kind regards

Mike

Julian Reed
    Participant

dear Mike are you a member of the society if so if you give me your surname I can look up your address in the list of members
    If not I will have to have a word with Andrew and see if there is another way of getting it sorted out
    I will be getting the fern for you from a lovely Guy called Bryan and he will be delighted that you are so pleased i will pick it up in 2 weeks and depending on the weather I will post it off to you

the other way is to contact me through the cultivar section
    Take care Julian

MikeW
    Participant

HI Julian,

my surname is Whittam. Please let me know postage costs and I’ll get that sent to you too, if you have a paypal account that may be easiest way to do that. My email address is mikwit10@hotmail.com if you want to contact me via that, rather than in the forum,
    yes I am really grateful to Bryan and your self for helping me obtain this lovely fern

kind regards

Mike

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The website of the British Pteridological Society