History of our journals

1909 – The British Fern Gazette was established as the Society’s journal; it contained a wide range of articles, news and Society business.

1963 – The British Fern Gazette was developing into a more scientific journal and an annual foolscap sheet was produced to communicate news of Society business to members, which later developed into a more formal Newsletter.
You can see the Newsletter Nos 1 (1963) – 10 (1977) on BHL

1973 – A more permanent format was felt to be appropriate and the BPS Bulletin was launched “to serve chiefly the non-scientific membership, and to supply all information of interest to our members.”

1984 – Following the committee’s decision to split the Bulletin, the Pteridologist was launched to publish articles, leaving the Bulletin to focus on Society business and reports of meetings. It has grown considerably in size, reflecting the Society’s increasingly ambitious programme of events.

With thanks to Anthony Pigott and Alison Paul

The website of the British Pteridological Society