Asplenium ceterach

On our way from one Dryopteris aemula site to another, we stopped off to see the progress of Asplenium ceterach on this railway bridge. This bridge was renovated by the Railway Authority and in the process all the plants were removed and the pointing redone. We were pleased to see that despite the best efforts of the Railways, Asplenium ceterach seems to be able to cope with this treatment and even created new sporeling

Dryopteris aemula sites in the New Forest

Following new sightings by Alison Bolton and Mike Rowe, Ashley & Jo Basil and myself went to see 2 new sites for Dryopteris aemula in the New Forest
The first site was in Brately Inclosure which, at first sight, seemed an unlikely place
However we found, within an area of some 200 x 200 yards, about 200 plants looking very healthy

The next site we went to was Norley Inclosure, where we found possibly 10 plants

This brings the number of sites for Dryopteris aemula in the New Forest, known to us, to 6

Botrychium lunaria in May in the New Forest 2020

Ashley & Jo Basil and myself, went back to check out the Botrychiums at Appleslade Bottom

We found about 50 plants
They grow in an “open” field amongst bracken
A lot of the bracken seemed to be suffering from a late frost, which helped us find the Botrychiums
It is not probable that we found them all. This is around the same number for previous years but they seem to moving lower down the slight hill
I have included a picture that I hope explains our numbering methodology
These are bamboo kebab spears, 12 inches long, to which I added some red sticky tape at the top to make them more visible
We put one of these next to each plant and then when we have had enough of searching, we collect the “spears” and count them

We also found about 12 distinct colonies of Ophioglossum azoricum in 3 different areas

See previous posts:
2017
2015