|This guide was originally based on a pamphlet published by the British Pteridological Society designed to help new members and others interested in ferns to find plants from reputable sources either to purchase, study or simply enjoy, and to use them effectively in their own gardens.
The information is published with the consent of the owners or managers of the gardens or institutions listed. Admission is free unless otherwise stated. It is by no means a comprehensive list, although every attempt has been made to ensure the information given is correct.
The guide is currently under active review. The Society would very much appreciate being notified of any additions or amendments which be useful when revising the guide.
Alphabetical List by Country and County:
Bath & NE Somerset
- John Southwell, Sherborne Garden, Litton, Bath, Bath & NE Somerset, BA3 4PP; tel: 01761 241220.
Four acre garden with beginner’s collection of 250 different hardy ferns, all labelled. Open: Suns & Mons, June-Sept, 11am-6pm, or by appointment. E-M-P-S
- Universtiy of Bristol Botany Gardens, Brackenhill, North Road, Leigh Woods, Bristol, Bristol, B58 3PF; tel: 0117 9733682.
Wide range of hardy, half-hardy and tender ferns, including many natives. Open: Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm. Weekends by appointment. B-P-S
- Cambridge University Botanic Garden, Cory Lodge, Bateman Street, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2 1JF; tel: 01223 336265, Mrs C A Hotine, Info. & Records Technician. -M-.
Hardy and glasshouse ferns. Open all year 10am-6pm (summer), 10am-4pm (winter). B-E-P
- Alison Davies, Greystones, Comberton, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB37 7EF; tel: 01223 264159.
Nearly 40 varieties representing 9 groups of ferns in border and in woodland shade, associated with spring bulbs and foliage plants. A-H-P-S-X
- Monksilver Nursery, Oakington Road, Cottenham, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB4 4TW; tel: 01954 251555, A C Leslie & J L Sharman. -M-.
Wide range of hardy species and varieties of fern including Adiantum, Asplenium, Athyrium, Blechnum, Cystopteris, Dryopteris, Gymnocarpium, Matteuccia, Phegopteris, Polypodium and Polystichum. Open: Fri/Sat, 10am-4pm; Mar-June & Oct. H-M-N-P-S
- Margaret Nimmo-Smith, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB4 1AH; tel: 01223 365484.
Small town garden containing mainly hardy British species and cultivars and foreign hardy ferns. A-H-M-X
- Peckover House & Garden, North Brink, Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, PE13 1JR; tel: 01945 583463.
Tender and hardy ferns in Victorian fernery and fern garden. Open: House & garden: Sat, Sun, Weds & Bank Hol Mons. Garden only: Mon & Tues. E-NT-P
- The Fernery, Tatton Park, Knutsford, Cheshire, WA16 6QN; tel: 01565 750 780.
Dicksonia, Cyathea, and Woodwardia in restored Victorian Fernery. Open: Daily 11am-4pm except Mons. (open Bank Hols.). NT-P-S
- Burncoose Nurseries, Gwennap, Redruth, Cornwall, TR16 6BJ; tel: 01209 861112.
Tree ferns. Open: Mon-Sat, 9am-5pm; Sun, 11am-5pm. N-P-S
- Carwinion House, Carwinnion Road, Mawnan Smith, Falmouth, Cornwall TR11 5JA; tel: 01326 250258
Famous for bamboos and tropical plants. Several fern species including tree ferns. E-P
- Cotehele Quay, Cotehele, Saltash, Plymouth
Maidenhair fern on inside of lime kilns at Cotehele Quay
- Glendurgan Garden, Mawnan Smith, Flamouth, Cornwall, TR11 5JZ; tel: 01326 250906.
Dicksonia Antarctica/Squarosa, Blechnum Chilensis, Woodwardia Radicans, Cyathea, etc. Open: Mar-Oct: 10.30am-5.30pm, Tues-Sat; closed Good Fri; open Bank Hol Mons. E-NT-P-S
- Penjerrick, Budock, nr. Falmouth
Rhodendrons, camellias, magnolias and tree ferns. E-P
- St Michael’s Mount, Marazion, Cornwall, TR17 0EF; tel: 01736 710507.
Several species of fern in a fantastic setting. Garden open May-June 10-5.30 Mon-Fri, Jul-Oct 10-5.30 Thu & Fri. E-NT-P
- The Lost Gardens of Heligan, Pentewan, St Austell, Cornwall, PL26 6EN; tel: 01726 844157.
Historic garden with lakes, rockeries, summer houses, crystal grotto, Italian garden, bee-boles, pineapple house, traditional kitchen garden, etc. and two and half miles of footpaths, in process of restoration since 1991. Numerous native ferns throughout the garden but especially in The Ravine, plus Dicksonia antarctica, etc. and other sub-tropical trees and shrubs in The Jungle. Notable Hooker collection of rhododendrons, and also camellias. Open: 10am-6pm, daily (last tickets, 4.30pm) B-E-P-S
- Trebah Garden, Trebah, Mawnan Smith, Falmouth, Cornwall, TR11 5JZ; tel: 01326 250448.
25 acre, steeply-wooded ravine garden with waterfalls and ponds, featuring 13 subspecies of Cyathea, 2 subspecies of Blechnum, and 4 subspecies of Dicksonia, including some D. antarctica planted 100 years ago, plus 2 acres of hydrangeas, rhododendrons, gunnera, palms, trees and shrubs. Young plants planted out and in the nursery. Open: 10.30am-5pm, every day of the year. B-E-P-S
- Trelissick, Feock, Truro, Cornwall; tel: 01872 862090
Rhodendrons, eucalyptus, acers, palms, and ferns (including tree ferns). E-P
Trengwainton Gardens, Near Heamoor, Penzance, Cornwall, TR20 8RZ; tel: 01736 63148.
Dicksonia antarctica, Osmunda regalis, Asplenium scolopendrium, varieties of Blechnum, Polystichum, Dryopteris and Matteuccia. Open: Mar-Oct: W-Sat & Bank Hols, 10.30am-5pm (Apr-Sept, 5.30pm). NT-P-S
- Tresco Abbey Gardens, Tresco, Isles of Scilly; tel: 01720 424105
Unique collection of tender plants including several species of ferns. Open 10-4 daily all year. E-NT-P
- Trewidden Estate Nursery, Trewidden, Penzance, Cornwall, TR20 8TT; tel: 01736 62087.
Large landscaped garden and nursery including Dicksonia antarctica. Open: Mon-Sat: 8am-1pm & 2-5pm; closes 4pm on Fri; closed Suns. E-N-P-S
- Brantwood, Coniston, Cumbria, LA21 8AD; tel: 01539 441396 (daytime), Sally
Lakeshore and woodland garden at home of W J Linton (author of “The Ferns of the English Lake Country”, pub. 1865) and John Ruskin, social revoluntionary, etc. (from 1872-1900). Major garden renovation in progress to include creation of a ‘Linton Fern Collection’ of 3 fern ‘beds’ in oak woodland inspired by Linton’s book to stimulate interest and awareness of native Cumbrian flora. Collection includes 21 Asplenium, 25 Athyrium, 40 Dryopteris, 28 Polypodium and 32 Polystichum. Open: Mid-Mar to Mid-Nov, 11am-5.30pm Mon-Sun; Mid Nov-Mid Mar, 11am-4pm Wed-Sun. B-E-P-S
- Hartside Nursery Garden, Near Alston, Cumbria, CA9 3BL; tel: 01434 381372.
Species and varieties of Adiantum, Asplenium, Athyrium, Blechnum, Dryopteris, Gymnocarpium, Matteucia, Onoclea, Osmunda, Polystichum, Thelypteris and Woodsia. Open: March-Oct: M-F, 9am-4.30pm; Sat, Sun & B.Hols, 12.30-4pm; Nov-Feb: by appt. N-P-S
- Sizergh Castle Garden, Sizergh Castle, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 8AE; tel: 01539 560070.
National Trust Garden containing National Collections of Asplenium scolopendium, Cystopteris, Dryopteris and Osmunda, also general collection of hardy ferns. Open: Apr-Oct: Sun-Thurs, 12.30-5.30pm; last admission 5pm. E-NC-NT-P-S
- Robert & Sue Sykes, Kendal, Cumbria; tel: 01539 568321.
Small general collection mostly of varieties of UK ferns, particularly Polysticum setiferum and Polypodium. A-M-X
- The Lakeland Horticultural Society Gardens, Holehird, Ullswater Road, Windermere, Cumbria, LA23 1NP; tel: 01539 446008, Miss C J Kelshall-M-.
National Collection of Polystichum (over 60 taxa), plus over 20 other taxa in mixed fern border. Open: 9am-dusk, daily. NC-P
- Anthony Marriage, Uplyme, Lyme Regis, Devon, DT7 3RR; tel: 01297 443295.
3 acre private woodland garden with approx. 50 species of ferns and a few varieties, plus rare trees and shrubs. Open (fee payable) under National Gardens Scheme-see ‘Yellow Book’-or by appointment. A-E-M-P-X
- Greenway Garden, Greenway Road, Galmpton, Brixham, Devon, TQ5 0ES; tel: 01803 842382
Woodland garden on banks of Dart estuary including fernery. Open Mar-1st week Oct 10.30-5. E-NT-P
- Kingston Lacy House & Garden, Kingston Lacy House, Wimborne, Dorset, BH21 4EA; tel: 01202 883402.
24 varieties of Dryopteris, Polystichum, Asplenium, Athyrium, Matteuccia, Adiantum, Osmunda; Victorian Fernery. Open: Apr-Oct: Sat-Wed, 11.30am-6pm (garden); 12-4.30pm (house). E-NC-NT-P-S
- Mr & Mrs C W Wright, Seaborough, Beaminster, Dorset, DT8 3QY; tel: 01308 868426.
Two-acre garden with many native ferns, inc. Polystichum setiferum ‘Plumosum Bevis’ & descendant. A-H-NC-X
- Sheffield Park Gardens, Sheffield Park, East Sussex, TN22 3QX. Tel: 01825 790231.
Huge landscaped garden with specimen trees and famous spring and autumn colour. A few ferns scattered in damper habitats. Open 15 Feb-30 Apr, and 1 Jun-30 Sept: 10.30-6 Tues-Sun; 1 May-31 May and 1 Oct-31 Oct: 10.30-6 every day; 28 Dec-1 Jan: 10.30-4 Mon-Sun; 7 Jan-12 Feb: 10.30-4 Sat and Sun. E-NT-P
- Great Dixter, Northiam, East Sussex.
Famous garden, the creation of Christopher Lloyd. Many interesting and unusual ferns. P-S
- Steven and Karen Munyard, Hastings, East Sussex.
Fascinating suburban garden with many rare and interesting species. A-M-X
- Nap Wood, Saxonbury Hill, Mark Cross, East Sussex. Sussex Wildlife Trust Nature Reserve.
Beautiful wood containing nearly all the woodland fern species, including the best site for Dryopteris aemula in the South-East. Free access.
- Sylvia Medd, Londesborough Cross, Town Street, Shiptonthorpe, York, YO43 3PA; tel: 01430 873908
Wonderful collection of hardy ferns including 80 Polystichums. Open Mar-Jul, Weds 1.00-4.00 (& occasional Suns) under National Garden Scheme-E-M-S-X
- Robert Bolton, Birdbrook, Halstead, Essex, CO0 4BQ; tel: 0441 785258.
Collection of all kinds of hardy specieies and varieties, many from the original Bolton collection. A-M-X
- Batsford Garden Centre, Nursery & Arboretum, Batsford, Moreston-in-the-Marsh, Gloucestershire; tel: 01386 700409.
80,000 hardy ferns (37 species and varieties grown for wholesale trade; garden centre retails ferns to the public. List includes Adiantum, Asplenium, Athyrium, Blechnum, Cyrtomium, Dryopteris, Gymnocarpium, Matteucia, Onoclea, Osmunda, Polystichum. Open: 10am-5pm daily. N-P-S
- Hidcote Manor Gardens, Hidcote Bartrim, Chipping Camden, Gloucestershire GL55 6LR; tel: 01684 855370.
Famous for its outdoor ‘rooms’ the garden features trees, shrubs, herbaceous plants and many shady areas with ferns.
- Highfield Nurseries, School Lane, Whitminster, Gloucestershire, GL2 7PL; tel: 01452 740266.
Species and varieties of Asplenium, Athyrium, Cyrtomium, Dryopteris, Matteuccia, Onoclea, Osmunda, Polypodium, and Polystichum. Open: Mon-Fri, 9am-4pm; closed Sat & Sun. N-P-S
- Highfield Plant & Garden Centre, Bristol Road, Whitminster, Gloucestershire, GL2 7PB; tel: 01452 741444.
Wide range of ferns hardy in Britain (see Nursery entry above) usually available at the Plant & Garden Centre. Open: Mon-Sat, 9am-6pm, Sun, 10.30am-4.30pm. Closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day & Easter Sun. N-P-S
- University of Manchester Botanical Experimental Grounds, off Old Hall Lane, Fallowfield, Manchester, Greater Manchester, M14; tel: 0161 257 2772.
Range of British and exotic ferns and fern allies, mainly in glasshouses. Species of particular interest include Leptopteris, Pilularia, Salvinia, Azolla, Marsilea, Hymenophyllum, Ophioglossum, Selaginella, Psilotum. Open: Mon-Fri, 8am-4.30pm-B-P
- Vicarage Botanical Garden, Carrington, Urmston, Manchester, Greater Manchester, M31 4AG; tel: 0161 775 2750, Chris Goodman, Director-M-.
Wide range of hardy ferns grown in woodland gardens. Open: Fri-Wed 10am-5pm closed Thurs)-E-M-N-P-S
- Apple Court Nursery, Hordle Lane, Hordle, Lymington, Hampshire, SO41 0HU; tel: 01590 642130.
A wide variety of hardy and semi-tender ferns. National Collection of Woodwardia. Open: 9.30am-1pm & 2-5pm; closed Tues & Weds. E-H-N-NC-P-S
- Andy Byfield, 21 Fishers Road, Totton, Southampton, SO40 9HW; tel: 023 8042 8452
Growing collection specializing in cultivars of British fern genera-A-M-X
- Norman R Giles, Rumsey Gardens, 117 Drift Road, Clanfield, Waterlooville, Hampshire, PO8 0PD; tel: 01705 593367; www.rumsey-gardens.co.uk
Adiantum, Asplenium, Athyrium, Blechnum, Cheilanthes, Cryptogramma, Polypodium, Polystichum, Oreopteris. Open: 9am-5pm, daily. H-M-N-S
- Andrew Leonard, Portsmouth; firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: 023 92752740.
“Portsmouth Botanical Gardens”. About 150 species of ferns-A-M-X
- Abbey Dore Court Garden, Abbeydore, Herefordshire, HR2 0AD; tel: 01981 240419.
Athyrium, Polystichum, Polypodium, Osmunda, Asplenium scolopendrium. Open: Mar-Oct: 11am-6pm, closed Weds. H-N-NC-P-S
- Pat and Grace Acock’s Garden. St Mary’s Cray, Kent; tel: 01689 820183.
Small collection of mainly fern species of European and Macronesian origin and an extensive collection of horsetail species and hybrids (including most known taxa). A-M-X
- Scotney Castle Garden, Lamberhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3 8JN; tel: 01892 891081.
Osmunda at edges of moat, other ferns in gardens, especially near The Quarry. Open: 30 Mar-2 Nov: Wed-Fri, 11am-6pm; Sat-Sun, 12-6pm. E-NT-P
(Quarry currently under development; fern collection not at present complete.)
- Sissinghurst Castle Garden, Sissinghurst, Cranbrook, Kent, TN17 2AB. tel: 01580 710700.
Many interesting and unusual ferns in this classic and famous garden, originally the creation of Vita Sackville-West. Open 19 Mar to 30 Oct. Mon, Tues, Fri-Sun. 11-6.30. Extremely popular and busy. Timed entry at busy periods. Advisable to arrive early. E-NT-P-S
- Merriments Garden, Hurst Green, East Sussex
Commercial garden with surprisingly good fern collection. E-N-P-S
- Sir Joseph Banks Conservatory, The Lawn, Union Road, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN1 3BL; tel: 01522 560306.
Tender ferns in glasshouse: Dicksonia, Cyathea including C. medularis, Davillia, Doodia, Pellea, Adiantum, Asplenium. Open: daily, 10am-4pm; closed Christmas Day & Boxing Day. B-P
- The Fern Nursery, Grimsby Road, Binbrook, Lincolnshire, LN3 6DH; tel: 01472 398092, Neil Timm-M-.
Range of hardy ferns. Open: Sat/Sun, 9am-5pm, Apr-Oct, or by appointment. H-M-N-P-S-X
- Chelsea Physic Garden, 66 Royal Hospital Road, London, SW3 4HS; tel: 0171 352 5646.
Historic apothecaries’ garden with collection of ferns first decribed or cultivated by Thomas Moore (Curator 1848-1887); planted in restored 1907 fern house. Open: Apr-Oct: Weds, 2-5pm & Suns, 2-6pm. Chelsea Flower Show Wk: M-F, 12-5pm;Chelsea Fest. Wk:M-F,12-5pm. B-E-P-S
- Liverpool Museum, William Brown Street, Liverpool, Merseyside, L3 8EN; tel: 0151 478 4372.
Living displays of a small selection of ferns & fern alies. Natural History Centre: wide range of preserved material, with staff available for queries. Large collection of reserve herbarium material amounting to 11,000 specimens from throughout the world available by appt. only. Guided tours for small groups also by appt. The Museum also curates the University Herbarium, and the University of Liverpool’s living displays which can be seen at Ness Botanical Gardens, Wirral. Open: Mon-Sat 10am-5pm; Sun 12noon-5pm. Natural History Centre: Tues-Sun 1-4.30pm. B
- Jack Bouckley, Harrogate, North Yorkshire; tel: 01423 566948.
Collection of hardy ferns. A-M-S-X
- Harlow Carr Botanical Gardens, Crag Lane, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3 1QB; tel: 01423 508237.
NCCPG Collections of Polypodium and Dryopteris. Gardening museum within gardens. Open: 9.30am-6pm (or dusk), daily. B-E-NC-P-S
- Barry and Anne Wright, 130 Prince Rupert Drive, Tockwith, York, YO26 7PU; tel: 01423 358791
½-acre enthusiast’s garden, containing many unusual and rare plants, including a large fern collection. Open under the National Gardens Scheme (see Yellow Book for details)-E-M-S-X
- York Cemetery, The Gatehouse, Cemetery Road, York YO10 5AJ; tel: 01904 610578
A small fern collection planted in this pleasant and peaceful location by local BPS members and maintained by them with assistance of cemetery staff. Further details from Jack Bouckley (01423 566948). Open most days during daylight hours.
- Howick Gardens, Howick Estate Office, Alnwick, Northumberland, NN266 3LB; tel: 01665 577285.
A few ornamental garden ferns, especially around bog garden. Open early Apr-late Oct: 1-6pm, daily. E-H-P
- University of Oxford Botanic Gardens, Rose Lane, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1 4AX; tel: 01865 276920.
Tropical and hardy ferns in garden and glasshouses. Open: Gardens: 9am-4.30pm; glasshouses: 2-4pm, daily except Christmas Day and Good Friday. B-E
- Joan Loraine, Greencombe, Porlock, Somerset, TA24 8NU; tel: 01643 862363.
NCCPG Collection of Polystichum, also Dryopteris spp. Polypodium vars., good Athyrium and Phyllitis. Open: Sat-Tues, 2-6pm, 1st April-31st July. E-H-M-NC-P-S-X
- Brodsworth Hall and Gardens, Brodsworth, Doncaster, DR5 7XJ; tel: 01302 722598
Large quarry fern garden incorporating the late Eric Baker’s collection. Open 1 Apr-30 Sep 10.00-5.30 daily, 1 Oct-31 Oct 10.00-4.30 daily, 1 Nov-31 Mar 10.00-4.00 weekends only
- Ann Robbins Gardens, Scrooby, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, DN106AD; tel: 01302 710318.
Nursery with two to three year old native ferns grown from spores collected in the wild. A-H-M-N-S
- Mrs J Heywood, Chapel Chorlton, Newcastle, Staffordshire, ST5 5JN; tel: 01782 680206.
Large collection of Polypodium, Polystichum, Adiantum, Athyrium, Dryopteris, etc. By appointment or see ‘Yellow Book’-A-E-X
- Anthony Pigott, Mendlesham, Stowmarket, Suffolk; tel: 01449 766104.
Botanical collections of Equisetum (National Collection) and Dryopteris-A-H-M-NC-X
- Pat and Eric Roberts, Unicorns, Long Hill, Sands, Farnham, Surrey, GU10 1NG; tel: 01252 782778.
Woodland garden with hardy ferns. By appointment or see National Gardens Scheme ‘Yellow Book’-A-E-H-M-X
- Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Princess of Wales Conservatory, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 3AB; tel: 0181 332 5505.
Approx. 1200 taxa of temperate and tropical pteridophytes grown, many of which are displayed in the Princess of Wales Conservatory and exterior plantings of hardy ferns in the gardens. Open: 9.30am daily; closing time varies-please check. B-E-P
- Savill Garden, Wick Lane, Englefield Green, Egham, Surrey, TW20 0UU; tel: 01753 860222,
NCCPG Collection of hardy ferns; approx. 550 species, subspecies and cultivars. Open: Mar-Oct: 10am-6pm daily; Nov-Feb: 10am-4pm daily. B-NC-P-S
- Nick Schroder, Haywards Heath, Sussex, RH16 1JG; tel: 01444 415271.
Collection of hardy ferns, especially Athyrium. A-M-X
- Fibrex Nurseries Ltd, Honeybourne Road, Pebworth, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 8XT; tel: 01789 720788.
Established nursery selling species and varieties of British and foreign ferns hardy in Britain, including Asplenium, Athyrium, Cystopteris, Dryopteris, Osmunda, Polypodium, Polystichum, Thelypteris, Adiantum, Cyrtomium, Dicksonia, Matteucia, Onoclea, Woodsia and Woodwardia. New fern garden demonstrating the use of ferns. Open: Jan-Mar: M-F, 12-5pm; Apr-Aug: T-Sun, 12-5pm, Sept-Nov: M-F,12-5pm; Dec: closed. N-P-S
- Birmingham Botanical Gardens & Glasshouses, Westbourne Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, West Midlands, B15 3TR; tel: 0121 454 1860.
Glasshouse ferns & tree ferns, including Dicksonia x lathamii. Hardy ferns arranged geographically in natural gully. Open: Mon-Sat, 9am-dusk (8pm), Sun, 10am-dusk (8pm). B-E-NC-P-S
- Clive & Doreen Brotherton, Dudley, West Midlands, DY3 3BJ; tel: 01902 671482.
Private garden with magnificent collection of Cheilanthes. A-M-S-X
- A R Busby, 16 Kirby Corner Road, Canley, Coventry CV4 8GD; tel. 02476 715690. General collection of hardy ferns and varieties both British and foreign. By appointment. A-M-X
- University of Birmingham Botanic Garden, 58 Edgbaston Park Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, West Midlands, B15 2RT; tel: 0121 414 5590.
Hardy and indoor ferns. Open: Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm, by appointment. A-B-P
- Wakehurst Place (Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew), Ardingly, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, RH17 6TN; tel: 0181 332 5066.
Limited collection of cultivated hardy ferns including Osmunda, Blechnum, Polystichum, plus ferns of the Sussex Weald in woodlands including Dryopteris aemula. Open: Daily, 10am-7pm (summer), 10am-4pm (winter). B-E-P
- Standen, West Hoathly Road, East Grinstead, West Sussex, RH19 4NE; tel: 01342 301795. Ferns in quarry garden and a few elsewhere. Open 18 Mar-30 Oct. Wednesdays to Sundays 11-6; 5 Nov to 18 Dec. Saturdays and Sundays, 11-5. E-NT-P.
- Nymans Garden, Handcross, near Haywards Heath, West Sussex, RH17 6EB. tel: 01444 400321. Interesting collection of ferns and fern borders. (Hymenophyllum tunbrigense in surrounding woods). Open 18 Feb to 30 October 11-4, Wednesday to Sunday. 5th November to 12th Feb. 11-4 Saturday and Sunday. E-NT-P
- The Mens, Winkhurst Green, West Sussex. Nature Reserve containing beautiful hanging chalk woods and only site for Gymnocarpium robertianum in the South-East.
- Amberley Wild Brooks, Amberley, West Sussex. Wetland Nature Reserve containing Marsh Fern. Polypodium cambricum on garden walls in nearby village and castle.
- Nick Schroder, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, RH16 1JG; tel: 01444 415271.
Collection of hardy ferns, especially Athyrium. A-M-X
- Burford House Gardens, Treasures of Tenbury Ltd, Burford, Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire, WR15 8HQ; tel: 01584 810777.
Range of ferns in garden borders and for sale in garden centre. Open: Mon-Sun, 10am-6pm, all year round. E-H-N-P-S
Republic of Ireland
- National Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin, Dublin 9; tel: 010 353 1 8374388.
Tropical ferns in glasshouses, hardy ferns out-of-doors, Killarney Fern and filmy ferns. Open: Summer: 9am-6pm; Winter: 10am-4.30pm. Glasshouses as posted. B-NC-P
Argyll & Bute
- Ascog Hall, Ascog, Isle of Bute, PA20 9EU; tel: 017 0050 4555
Restored Victorian sunken fernery under glass plus gardens. Open from Easter to end-October, from 10am to 5pm. Closed Mondays and Tuesdays. E-H-M-P-S
- Benmore Botanic Garden, Dunoon, PA23 8QU; tel: 01369 706261; email@example.com
Located 7 miles north of Dunoon on A815 this is an extensive garden with a wide variety of exotic ferns and British natives growing in a natural setting. Open daily, 10am-4pm Feb & Mar, 10am-5pm Mar & Oct, & 10am-6pm Apr-Sept. B-E-P-S
- The Linn Nursery & Garden, Shore Road, Cove, Helensburgh, Dunbartonshire, G84 0NR; tel: 01436 842242.
Some 50 species and varieties of hardy ferns, including tree ferns, in lakeside setting, marsh and rockery in Gulf Stream garden. Open from dawn to dusk throughout the year. N-P-S
- Puck’s Glen. Forestry Commission property (NS150843) off A815 Dunoon to Strachur road, 1 mile south of Benmore Botanic Garden.
Beautiful ravine with a wide selection of British native ferns, especially filmy ferns. Open all year.
- Brodick Castle Garden and Country Park, Isle of Arran, KA27 8HY; tel: 01770 302202; firstname.lastname@example.org
Magnificent specimens of Athyrium filix-femina “Victoriae” and many exotic species including tree ferns. Native species in surrounding country park. E-NT-P-S
- Culzean Castle & Country Park, Maybole, KA19 8LE; tel: 01655 884455; email@example.com
Walled Garden contains many, mainly hardy, non-native, ferns, frequently planted in drifts of one species. Surrounding woodland full of native ferns but also flourishing Dicksonia antarctica. Open Good Friday-31 Oct, 9.30am-5.30pm. E-N-NT-P-S
- Dawyck Botanic Garden, Stobo, EH45 9JU; tel: 01721 760254; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hardy native, North American and other ferns in a woodland garden. Open: 10am-4pm Feb & Nov, 10am-5pm Mar & Oct, 10am-6pm Apr-Sep. B-E-P-S
- Logan Botanic Garden, Port Logan, Stranraer, DG9 9ND; tel: 01776 860231.
Extensive tree fern collection and many other temperate south hemisphere species in Gulf Stream garden established 100 years ago which is now a renowned centre for the scientific study and conservation of plants. Open: 1 Mar-31 Oct: 10am-5pm Mar & Oct, 10am-6pm Apr-Sep. B-E-P-
- Alastair Wardlaw’s Garden, Bearsden, Glasgow, G61 2SY; tel: 0141 942 2461
National Collection of British Native Ferns plus many non-native species, including tree ferns. A-M-NC-P
City of Edinburgh
- Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh, 20A Inverleith Row, Edinburgh, EH3 5LR; tel: 0131 552 7171; email@example.com
The glasshouses contain one of the most comprehensive collections of tropical and sub-tropical ferns in the UK, kept in excellent condition, and supplemented by hardy native and non-native ferns in scattered locations in the garden. Open daily (except 25 Dec & 1 Jan), 10am-4pm Nov-Feb, 10am-6pm Mar & Oct, & 10am-7pm Apr-Sept. B-E(for glasshouses)-P-S
- Glasgow Botanic Gardens, 730 Great Western Road, Glasgow, Strathclyde, G12 0UE; tel: 0141 334 2422.
National Collection of Tree Ferns in Kibble Palace (circular glasshouse built 1873); tropical ferns including a collection of Papua New Guinea in the Main Range of glasshouses; expanding hardy fern collection in gardens. Open: Grounds open daily; Kibble Palace & Main Range:10am-4.45pm (winter,4.15pm); Main Range closed Sat & Sun am. B-NC-P
- Attadale Gardens, Strathcarron, Wester Ross, IV54 8YX; tel: 01520 722603; firstname.lastname@example.org, www.attadale.com
Unusual dome fernery and outdoor collection from the late Peter Hainsworth’s garden. Also Rhododendron, Meconopsis and Primula. Open 10am-5.30pm April-October. Closed Sundays. E-M-P-S
- Inverewe Garden, Poolewe, IV22 2LG; tel: 01445 781200; email@example.com
Warmed by the North Atlantic Drift the garden contains many non-native fern species and other plants not normally hardy in more inland areas of the UK. Open all year daily 9.30am-4pm, with extended opening till 9pm or sunset if earlier, Good Friday to 31 October. E-NT-P-S
Perth and Kinross
- The Hermitage, near Dunkeld. Access from A9 1 mile north of Dunkeld
Woodland walk along the banks of the River Braan with many native species of fern. Open all year. E-NT-